Thursday, January 3, 2013

How does commitment play a role in integrity?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~
James Beale
London, England
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peter,
A hypothetical question: Suppose I am late for something I am committed to, due to some sort of
force majeur, the only way of fulfilling that commitment is to break the speed limit, which, as a law-abiding citizen, I am committed to not doing. It seems that my ability to choose a course of action in this circumstance depends on my being able to be more committed to one thing than another, yet
commitment as you talk of it seems to be an absolute.
James Beale

James,
To be committed is to be committed, but what you are committed to can vary. You may be committed to making something happen such as attending the apprentice program, or keeping your word about a promise. You could be committed to taking action, such as joining a political party or running a race. But you may also be committed to a purpose or goal and simply have a plan to achieve it. Then you are
committed to this plan unless you discover that it won't work, or a better plan will better achieve the goalor realize the purpose. In this case, you will change the plan since your commitment is not to the plan butthe goal.
If you are committed not to speed and you are committed to get somewhere on time, then you must leave earlier, or find another form of transport or something. Forces getting in the way are largely a myth, and rarely happen. This is not what keeps someone from being true to their commitments. But from time to time things can become quite difficult, still there are always options and usually a phone.
Of course, in our language we rarely take care to make distinctions about our commitments and promises. For example, I may say I'm going to a movie tonight, and what I mean is I would like to go to the movie tonight and so I'm planning on it. And yet if my brother needs to be taken to the hospital I will do that instead. If I say to you I promise to meet you at the movie tonight, then I will meet you. If I don't, and an emergency such as my brother's accident arises, I may choose to help my brother and break my promise to you, but I will have to take the consequences of breaking my promise, and if possible, do whatit takes to clean up the mess caused by breaking my word. Also, as so many people miss, if I can, I would do both, and if I can't, I would do what I can (within the commitment of helping my brother) to contact you and let you know that I am changing my plans for the night.
There used to be an argument between two schools of thought in the world of the Samurai. One school held that you should give your life to upholding your commitments and only fail if you die in the attempt. The other school held that you must realize your commitments and death was no excuse. More on this when I see you in the apprentice program.
Peter

Attend a Seminar
More Info


No comments:

Post a Comment